Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Summer Solstice!

In honor of Summer (the season, goofies, not Summer Glau the actress who played "River" in Joss' short-lived but brilliant TV series Firefly--obviously, you Sci-Fi heads), I want to pass on a list of Good Things (in no particular order).

1. Who doesn't love cake? Especially fancy-schmancy dancey-prancey cakes, such as People's Cakes From Every State. My favorite is #22 (Michigan). No, wait! My favorite is #13 (Illinois). No, wait! #20 (Maryland). Oooo #23 (Minnesota)! Or #27 (Nebraska). Or #30 (New Jersey). Also, #43 (Texas). And #47 (Washington). Nevada (#28) is funny--gotta love that in a cake. But #5 (California) is just plain creepy. And #14 (Indiana) looks like the roses are bleeding chocolate. Mmmmm....salvation thru salivation?

2. The quixotic struggle to remember forgotten books. This lovely blog aims to do just that. Ain't that sweet? Although, it really just makes me feel like our puny attempts at immortality are a vain show.

3. Exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'Nuff said.

4. Shopping for pretties. Some of my favorite sites: Elsewheres (soooo many pretties!), Mighty Goods (which is how one finds the pretties in the first place), Kimbooktu ('cuz it fills my book-nerdy heart with glee), Nama Rococo (for all my wallpaper lusts--trust me, this is not your grampie's wallpapers), Shop SCAD Atlanta (support those starving artists!), Sparkability ('cuz children ARE our future--although spending that kind of money on playthings can generate my gag-reflex), and My Shoppee Bag (the clothes are cute, and the translations of Japanese into English are even cuter).

5. Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle. It's magical.

6. Surfin' the inter-web for blogs that make me laugh. Some of 'um are funny on their own merits (example: Jesus Christ's Cool Blog, all about his adventures with his lamb, Karen, and occasionally the Holy Ghost, Doris) and some of 'um are funny because I am a condescending bastard (example: this libertarian dude who talks about defending himself against his neighbor's nuke). Other good blogs: 50 Books (funny woman turning her wit on books and life--sample: "It's a kind of a miracle, isn't it. But, like, a shitty miracle." ); Opera Chic (hilarious scoops on the austere world of opera--h4xx0r style, omg).

7. The number "seven". It's my favorite.

8. Dawn Upshaw. She's a modern goddess. These are her two most perfect recordings: The Girl With Orange Lips and Gorecki's Third Symphony: Symphony* of Sorrowful Songs. Although, I can find no fault with her recording of Samuel Barber's Knoxville: Summer of 1915 (with which, I might humbly add, I ended my Master's Recital, for all of you whom I might not have alerted, or met, in time to come).

9. TED. (No, fellow Buffy fans, not her erstwhile robotic stepfather-to-be; g*d, you guys sure have Joss on the brain today!) As a big fan of Ideas, this organization is sewwwwww kewwwwl! I heart them. There is plenty o' great shizz on their site. Watch, watch, my monkeys! Other good spots for, ya know, thought: NPR (my heart explodes with love!), Salon, How Stuff Works (for all you inquistive minds out there), and Video Jug (which shows "how-to" videos on purty much anything you could wish). Neat-o, ya know?

10. Given how much I heart books, Powell's City of Books earns a shout-out, simply because it is...well...a frackin' City of Books. I can lose myself in there for days. I always carry a spare toothbrush, just in case.

11. Speaking of toothbrushes**....Flossing. For some reason, this nightly ritual has become supremely comforting to me. I know it's weird. I know.

Ahhh, nothin' says "solstice" like Listmania!

*I accidentally typed "Sympony" the first time around. Hee! Pony.
**The plural applies to "brush" not "tooth". The more you know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nebraska is, by far, my most favoritest cake ever!

ZERD said...

Ooo, that one looks sooooo yummy! Who doesn't like raspberry chocolate ganache filling on french vanilla? Happy anniversary!