Thursday, June 7, 2007

"Once" Beautiful

Whilst checkin' out new movie releases, I clicked on the website for Once, a "modern musical" about an Irish busker/vacuum repair dude finding love. The movie looks fantastic, and has gotten raves, but it was the music that enchanted me. The soundtrack plays the whole time the movie page is open. I was hooked and downloaded it immediately.* Glen Hansard of awesome alterna-rock group The Frames plays/sings the lead; his baritone is just so tender and raw at the same time....I think I might be in lurve. (Good thing Hubby's singing makes me swoon, too:)

This mellow album's songs follow the traditional Verse 1-Chorus-Verse 2-Chorus-Etc form, but uses a variety of great textures to keep it interesting (nay, hypnotic): unusual and/or shifting time meters, cool instrument combos, text-painting by tessitura displacement, not to mention intelligent lyrics that manage to be Emotional without all that extra Cloy.

I heart this soundtrack soooo much, I have it (a) in my car, (b) in my downstairs stereo, (c) in my upstairs stereo, and (d) on my iPod. Since buying it a week ago, I have listened to it more than 40 times.

Ok, so I'm trying hard here not to oversell this baby. Let me just say, this is THE MOST AMAZING ALBUM EVER!!!! There, I don't think that over-hypes it. Please, please, PLEASE go listen it. Now. Right now. Seriously. AKA "not joking." Listen...!

*This should tell you Blatherscopers something. Something Important. Because I, Zerd, am extremely discriminating in what music I will pour into my educated ears. Usually, I spend about a year trying to decide if I really want to invest in an album. When I finally convince myself that, indeed!, I do need that album to fill a void in my life, it still takes another month for me to make the Ultimate Commitment.

2 comments:

Dahli said...

thanks for finding me..i've think of you often & am oh so happy that we have reconnected! e mail me & let's catch up!
xoxx

ZERD said...

Yeah! I will email you later today--right now I have to go sing for my supper:)