Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Half This Game Is Ninety-Percent Mental"

Thank you, Mr. Yogi Berra, for summing up the World of Physical Activity so beautifully. For me, this is especially true at 5:55 (in der Fruehe, Leute! Jawohl), when my alarm goes off. Each morning I lay wrapped in my faux-downy comforter and debate with Myself [cue The Clash]: should I stay or should I go now? Bed is so alluring...but so are new clothes! That little Promise is just the Carrot that This Horse needs to jog on.

And jog on I have. Since my "I-don't-have-to-be-perfect, but-I-do-need-to-be-healthy" Epiphany, I have lost 14 pounds--a pound a week. This life is proving to be sustainable, and I feel so much healthier, both physically and mentally. However, I am still struggling against rushing the process: I want to see the results of all my work NOW!!! I feel particularly frantic after an audition for which I sang well, performed well, and was funny--but am too "big" for the role. For some reason, this news almost sent me into a Fuck-U Slump--You know, the kind of Slump where You show "The Man" how wrong They were by proceeding to do the very behavior that kept You from Your Goal in the first place. [cue Borat]: Suc-ah-CESS! For me, that Slump looks like a whole lot o' sleepin' and watchin' crappy TV movies.

Thankfully, though, my hatred of ants came to my rescue. Yes, Blatherscopians, I will now admit what many have long wondered: Anger spurs me on! You see, the weather has been sooo warm, sooo sunny, sooo lovely, the ants have come marching 2 x 2 looking for food. I went into Full Freak-Out Mode, cleaned my kitchen from zip to zap, and had enough adrenaline left over to spend at the gym.

It* is a Magical Land: no matter how tired or grumpy or blah I feel going into the gym, I feel exhilarated coming out, ready to face those damn ants.

*I love all the little old ladies at the Rec Center. My favorite moment was watching two biddies walk away from the showers, one with a cane, the other with a wheeled-walker, both with age-dimpled butt cheeks sagging over the tops of their legs. Wonderful!

6 comments:

Mr Zakky Pants said...

You are my favorite! YOU GO! 14 pounds is awesome! Don't worry, you are going to have them at your heels in no time! XO, ZH

ZERD said...

I hope by "them" you mean hot latin men and not MY butt cheeks :)

Dahli said...

I know the fuck you slump and I send you all my midwest strength to "show them" by continuing to get up every morning and jog instead of staying in bed (& that is super tough). But, 14 pounds! Wow! You are amazing!
xo

p.s. i love the image of the two ladies..perfect

Erin said...

go girl! go! motivation is definitely something that cannot be bought, but is to be treasured highly!
and if you missed my comment back to you on my blog-let's get together! : )

ZERD said...

Dahli, darlin', I thank you for sending some of that Midwest stubborn strength; I have needed it (and felt it come when I needed it most).

Momma E, we should love each other this week! Let's find a time to pamper our friendship :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.