Saturday, July 28, 2007

Comic-Con(fusion)

I'd just like to give a Shout Out to MGF* Deeluxegal, currently braving the tens of thousands of comic-crazed fans at Comic-Con '07. She is there to reprise her 2006-premiered role of "Barrista Girl," the saucy heroine of the opera based on Shannon Wheeler's cult comic Too Much Coffee Man. I hope she is seeing lots of Vulcans and Caped Wonders and Aliens, but with five shows in three days, I doubt she has time for much. But, golly, wouldn't it be exciting if she meets Joss!

Speaking of comics, I've read quite a few in the last month, and now, as is my due, I should like to reflect upon these story-vessels.

Hellboy, the collected comics, v.1-4 by Pdx dude Mike Mignola--Long ennobled with the title "Masterpiece", the Hellboy series is a much beloved (and awarded!) industry fave.
What I loved: the art--arresting and evocative, magnificent use of a very limited color scheme.
What I liked: the concept--a deformed imp adopted into mainstream American life; as per traditional comic lore, Hellboy (our lovable demonic hero) comes equipped with untold Powers and Possibilities--will they save the world? Or bring on Armageddon?
What I disliked: the shortcuts taken in both character development and general narrative; sometimes a picture is NOT worth a thousand words. Or a mere hundred. If they are the right hundred.
What this all means: Solid, engaging tale, but I prefer to reserve the title of "Masterpiece" for things that not only outstrip their current competition, but that elevate every aspect of the work.

Alias**, the collected comics, v.1-4 by Brian Michael Bendis--In 2002, Marvel Comics launched its first-ever "R-Rated" series about your average ex-superhero-turned-P.I., Jessica Jones. In truly subtle comic book form, Marvel announces the rating-raise from the first word: "Fuck."
What I loved: the character of Jessica was nuanced, tough yet womanly, and drawn fairly realistically (i.e. her boobs were relative to the size of her body). Also, wonderful use of a variety of art techniques to highlight different times/experiences in Jessica's life.
What I liked: characters were dynamic, and the stories spun traditional superhero mythology into a totally believable world.
What I disliked: the art--particularly when trying to convey deep, penetrating glances, but the faces just looked frozen or hung-over--sometimes left me a bit confused.
What this all means: a mature take on the superheros of childhood; very worthy way to kill some time.

Fray by Joss Whedon--Continuing the saga of Slayers vs. Vampires 500 years after viewers last left Buffy.
What I loved: Um, well...I'm a bit prejudiced when it comes to all things Buffy-Joss. So, despite the comic's many flaws, it was kind-of impossible for me not to love it. C'mon. It's JOSS.
What I liked: the art and story complemented each other well. I also loved how Joss kinda wipes the slate clean--because of Buffy's Season 7 actions, the world is a very different place for our new heroine. And to save the world, Fray has to face her own past. Ya gotta love a hook like that (at least if You're into pseudo-psychology, like Freud-lite).
What I disliked: some plot developments are a leeetle tooo obvious--we don't have any nifty music or camera pans to offer any Red Herrings.
What this all means: I heart Joss. And his mighty creations. Heart. Them. So. Much.

*My Good Friend, 'natch.
**No relation to J.J. Abrams' awesome-then-stupid TV show of the same name.

2 comments:

deeluxegal said...

i didn't get to meet joss whedon because there was apparently a raffle for the spots in line to get to meet him, but i did stand 5 feet from him and take his picture with my phone for you! i thought it was all cosmic that he happened to be there when i happened to go by the dark horse booth to find something by him for you, but those cosmos can be such a tease.

ZERD said...

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOGMGOGMGOGOGM

YOU ROCK! How did performances go?