Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuesdays With Zerd...And "A.I."

Um, have I mentioned how into "American Idol" I've gotten this season? Yup. Totally, nerdily into AI. I like to analyze the singing, the performances, the value of the judges criticisms. But I have never voted. Until tonight.

So, tonight was the final--David Cook vs. David Archuleta. DA is a sweet boy with a sweet voice, but he is not an entertaining or versatile performer; he has a syrupy, old-fashioned taste in music with earnest (sometimes awkward) lyrics. DC, whose vocal timbre is not as immediately beautiful as DA's, has faaaaar more range. DC has some serious musical chops! The boy has a great ear for arrangements that pull You in, in spite of Yourself. DC has stretched himself vocally, musically, and stylistically in ways that DA has not.

But DA, a cutie, nice-boy, 17-year-old, has the teenie-bopper craze going on in a big way.

So I decided to stand up for musical integrity. I have spent the past 3 hours dialing and redialing, voting for DC. I have the phone on my shoulder as I type this. Most of the time I get a busy signal, but I have still managed to log over 60 votes. The AI phone lines close in an hour....

2 comments:

deeluxegal said...

i only watched a couple episodes this season, but i'm there with you. thank you for taking the time to rack up some votes for d.c.! he's got legit goods as a musician and artist. he'll probably end up a relatively mainstream pop star, but at least he'll have some originality and talent (which is becoming increasingly scarce in pop music). if you ask me, d.a. has a pretty voice but if he's bound for any success, it will be among mature women as a josh groban knock-off singing songs about as interesting as white jello (as my college choir conductor used to put it).

ZERD said...

Mmm, white jello....