Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I Dig My Yard!

No, seriously: I am digging my yard. The previous owners left a stunted jumble of grass, mis-matched stepping stones, river rock, shale rock, a mold-covered wood pile, wood chips mixed into the grass and shale, and the whole shee-bang was rimmed with railroad ties. Oh, and 3-3' strange metal poles cemented into the ground.

Thanks to the miracles of a Craig's List posting, total strangers came to grab all the railroad ties and river rock their grubby little trucks could carry. It is amazing what people will do when you put the word "free" in front of Crap. It was sooo easy*, I got lulled into thinking this whole re-landscaping project would be easy. Ha!

One of the exciting things I've discovered: the bed of shale rock/wood chips is supported by old miscellaneous stones sunken in mud. Who knows what else lurks beneath the bedraggled surface of my yard? It's an adventure! A really hot, sweaty, muddy, groady, blister-making adventure.

*But occasionally annoying. I received more than 300 phone calls in a week and a half--it's a good thing I specified calling hours (9am-9pm), otherwise WHO KNOWS what ungodly hours I would have heard the phone ring.

2 comments:

deeluxegal said...

how did the big dig on saturday go? as a reward for yourself, want to suffer through la wally with me on saturday night? i suggest pre-show happy hour at henry's.

Dahli said...

how cool! sounds like a satisfying project.